Director of Culinology
Banzai Sushi is a Founder-led company and the largest frozen sushi factory in North America on a mission to provide great tasting, convenient, and healthy sushi to our customers. We currently produce over 1,000,000 pieces of sushi per day out of our facility located in the Seattle area. Some of our customer groups include K-12 schools districts (to promote healthier school lunch options), major international grocery store chains, and the US Military. All of our sushi is made using Certified Sustainable Seafood; and we are in the process of launching plant-based sushi to be distributed throughout the country! We are a talented, energetic, and positive team looking to recruit an equally talented Director of Culinology to take us to the next level of world-class sushi manufacturing!
We are looking for an experienced Culinologist to lead and manage R&D projects, including but not limited to new product development, current product improvements, and cost savings. This position manages the R&D team and directly reports to the CEO.
Position Location: Des Moines, WA
Pay Rate: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health insurance, vision, dental, and life insurance fully paid by the company.
Relocation assistance is available. 4 weeks of paid vacation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of R&D on sushi and other ready meal products.
- Ideate directly with customers to develop on-trend products. Keep a strategic view of the marketplace and bringing insights to the business.
- Lead technical problem solving, both in daily production and new product development. Proactively address and drive continuous improvements and cost savings opportunities.
- Work with management team for new product commercialization.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of developments and trends in the CPG space, including ingredients, new and/or existing products, packaging and effectively translate the knowledge to create opportunities.
- Build relationships with suppliers to gain additional sources and ideas for new products and/or raw materials for continuous improvements.
- Communicate all progress and needs of the R&D department to the CEO.
Required Education / Experience / Skills:
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience specializing in product and/or concept development for commercial production.
- Degree in related field (Food Science, Culinary Science/Arts, Biochemistry, etc.)preferred but not required.
- Critical thinker and problem solver. Ability to effectively work, problem solve, and communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Culinology and Food Science experience and expertise: Well-developed understanding of functional ingredients (flavors, texturizers, stabilizers) and their application within a food system for culinary concept development and commercialization.
- Knowledge in HACCP, FSMA-HARPC, FDA and USDA regulations, and GFSI regulations (BRC, SQF, FSSC 22000).
Phil Sinz, Founder and CEO