Organization: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Job Position: Full-Time Lecturer
Job Location: San Luis Obispo, California, US
Job Description: Full-Time Lecturer in Foodservice and Nutrition Systems Management
The Food Science and Nutrition Department in the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo is seeking candidates for full-time, academic year (9-month), lecturer in Foodservice and Nutrition Systems Management beginning in September 2020 or January 2021. The College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences has started the construction of a multidisciplinary building of $125 million that will benefit this position with seven food and nutrition research labs including a culinary suite, a sensory laboratory, two food safety laboratories, and a food chemistry and analytical laboratory. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Appointment is for one year with possible extension.
The candidate’s primary teaching contribution will be in the areas of Management in Foodservice and Nutrition Systems and Culinology® with an emphasis on quantity food planning and preparation to meet specific nutritional requirements/guidelines for various foodservice facilities, including healthcare facilities, large corporate institutions and schools.
Courses taught depend on student demand with the successful candidate having expertise in the above areas that would translate to one or more of the following courses: FSN 121: Fundamentals of Food, FSN 321: Contemporary Issues in Food Choice and Preparation, FSN 343: Foodservice Operations I, FSN 344: Foodservice Operations II, and/or FSN 426: Nutrition and Foodservice Systems Management. Additional courses may be assigned, as needed and as appropriate for the candidate’s expertise, by the department. Course descriptions are available at http://catalog.calpoly.edu/coursesaz/fsn/
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Earned Bachelors's and Master’s in Nutrition, Food Science, Foodservice or closely related field.
- Demonstrated experience in related field of expertise.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to student-centered learning and teaching, as well as the ability to collaboratively work in multidisciplinary settings.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- RD/RDN credential.
- PhD in Nutrition, Food Science, Foodservice or closely related field.
- University-level teaching experience desirable.
- Preference will be given to those with experience in working with diverse populations and fostering a collaborative, supportive and inclusive environment.
- Preference will also be given to those with relevant work experience and those who bring professional capabilities.
Interested candidates can apply online here, following the guidelines outlined below:
- A cover letter,
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Copy of unofficial transcripts (from Bachelor's to highest degree awarded)
- A list of university courses previously taught, if applicable, and courses requesting consideration to teach
- A statement describing the candidate's experience(s) with diversity and inclusion and how their experiences have prepared them to advance Cal Poly's commitment to diversity and inclusion
- At least three professional references with names and email addresses when completing the online faculty application. The selected candidate will be required to provide sealed official transcripts of highest degree awarded prior to appointment for final consideration.
Review of applications will begin March 13, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications received after that date may be considered until an acceptable candidate is secured. For questions, please contact the Food Science & Nutrition department at firstname.lastname@example.org. EEO.