Organization: King's Hawaiian
Job Position: Head Baker
Job Location: Torrance, California, US
Job Description: Joining King’s Hawaiian makes you part of our `ohana (family). We are a family-owned business for over seventy years, respecting our roots while thinking about our future as we continue to grow and care for our customers and the communities we serve. Our `ohana members build an environment of inclusivity as they freely collaborate, pursue learning through curiosity, and explore innovation as critical thinkers. Beyond that, we are also passionate about supporting the long-term health and well-being of our employees and their families. If you’re excited to rise with our team, come and join our `ohana!
If you love to bake this is the ideal position for you! The Head Baker is one of the leadership positions at the Commissary and must have a passion to produce high quality bakery products consistently. This person demonstrates strong leadership skills with attention to detail in elevating and sustaining irresistible baked goods. This role is accountable for the quality and consistency of all bakery products, produced from scratch daily. You will be responsible for training the staff, documenting and improving processes, troubleshooting product issues, and setting a high standard for the team to follow. You are the leader of the shop advising the operation daily so everything runs smoothly. This position will report to the Production Manager, Commissary.
- Assist with the development of standardized recipes for all menu items ensuring that recipes are accurate and updated as needed.
- Participates in planning of holiday and special event production.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of ingredients, recipes, equipment and techniques and looks for areas to improve processes.
Coordination / Communication
- Act as a team leader and motivator for the Commissary working closely with and maintaining good relations with all team members.
- Responsible for quality control, and suggest changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency and safety of the bakery production operations
- Demonstrates hands on approach to all bakery products produced in the Commissary ensuring quality, presentation, and consistency meet company standards.
- Assigns tasks optimally for the efficient use of allocated labor ensuring maximum results are achieved and daily production needs have been met in a timely, organized and efficient manner.
- Is responsible for baking processes. Communicates with upper management/supervisor and variances to standards.
- Responsible to onboard and train new hires and delivering ongoing training, coaching, and ongoing team development.
- Minimizes waste and inefficiencies to meet goals.
- Ensures proper amount of ingredients and finished goods inventory on hand to meet store orders.
- Guarantees food products prepared meet the established specifications and standards.
- Verifies proper measuring techniques and tools are utilized for all recipes.
- Participates in quality testing and ensures quality control.
- Responsible for complete set up, cleanliness and organization of the Commissary Department and bakery areas.
Procurement & Inventory Management
- Recommends vendors and ingredients for the best quality and pricing.
- Responsible for effective ordering and receiving of bakery ingredients and supplies, and ensures proper inventory levels
Safety and SQF
- Ensures Safety and SQF standards are met while addressing violations and concerns in an effective and timely manner.
- Ensures that bakery equipment is clean and in working order, reports and prepares work orders for required repairs. Ensures that all equipment is handled safely and with reasonable care.
Skills/Experience: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily.
- Bachelors degree or degree in Culinary or Baking with 10+ years of baking experience with a minimum 3 - 5 years in a commissary or retail bakery leadership position.
- Knowledgeable in inventory management and controls
- HACCP / SQF / NFS principles background or certification
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined. Able to work independently with little supervision. Ability to identify and anticipate needs and make recommendations.
- Passion to produce high quality bakery products
- Ability to look at situations that are not working and develop and implement a solution
- Proven track record developing strong relationships in order to gain support and achieve results and to develop and mentor others
- Confidence and ability to influence others, facilitate processes, and coach the team
- Minimum 2 years facilitating training (e.g. Harassment, New Hire Orientation, Policy & Procedures)
King's Hawaiian is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our ohana.
Relocation Program: Yes
To Apply: Send resume to Careers@kingshawaiian.com