Organization: King's Hawaiian
Job Position: Innovation Pastry Chef
Job Location: Torrance, California, US
Employee Type: Full-time
Job Description: Joining King’s Hawaiian makes you part of our `ohana (family). As a family-owned business for over seventy years, we respect our roots while thinking about our future as we continue to grow and care for our customers and the communities we serve. Our `ohana members build an environment of inclusivity as they freely collaborate, pursue learning through curiosity, and explore innovation as critical thinkers. Beyond that, we are also passionate about supporting the long-term health and well-being of our employees and their families. If you’re excited to rise with our team, come and join our `ohana!
The Innovation Pastry Chef position is responsible for creating/finding/working with 3rd parties to produce irresistible products with Aloha. The ideal person for this position will be an expert baker, with the creativity to create new bakery products for King’s Hawaiian. Must be willing to break boundaries, do things differently, and explore new concepts. This individual will work collaboratively with our commissary, suppliers, co-packers, and chefs to scout out and develop new foods with incredible taste and a uniquely Hawaiian WOW factor! Most importantly, this person will be a foodie, who loves to try new foods from different cultures, and will refuse to settle for mediocrity. This position will report to the Leader, Hawaiian Foods and have a close working relationship with the CEO and marketing team.
- Develop new irresistible recipes to update our restaurant’s showcase.
- Prototype new Hawaiian Foods for Ecommerce introduction and potential introduction into grocery stores nationwide.
- Focus on special projects to improve new and existing products within our Commissary, Retail Operations, and Wholesale business.
- Ensure the Commissary is consistently producing bakery products every single day at the high quality standards demanded by our customers.
- Work closely with marketing team members to understand product concepts and develop recipes, prototypes, and finished products from them.
- Articulate ideas to various audiences in a clear and concise manner and must possess skills to understand and communicate appeal of new product creations.
- Maintain and develop strong working relationships with Hawaiian culinary institutes, partner chefs, suppliers, and co-manufacturers to enable recipe development and revisions.
- Provide mentorship and leadership to the Food Science team to ensure final product stays true to the approved product recipe
- Successfully create new recipes based on concepts through the Hawaiian Foods development process
- Improved processes and trains bakers on best practices.
- Culinary Arts Degree with 5 to 7 years related food service, manufacturing and/or volume cooking experience
- Have the ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment - skilled at planning, organizing, prioritizing, and executing simultaneous projects and activities
- Proven project management capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Exposure to a range of food product forms and processes.
King's Hawaiian is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our ohana.
Relocation Program: Yes
To Apply: Send resume to Careers@kingshawaiian.com