Organization: Kalsec, Inc
Job Position: Sr Scientist - Protein Innovation
Job Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, US
Employee Type: Full-time
Job Summary: Senior Scientist (Protein Innovation) is a technical position intended to create expertise in food prototype development with exploration of food chemistry/biochemistry, thereby addressing the utilization and functionality of Kalsec ingredient offerings to food industry and our customers. The primary role of this position is to develop a deeper understanding of food matrices with a variety of existing and emerging proteins and translate that to applied knowledge with deliverables as prototypes, process, intellectual property, and internal and external customer support activities.
Specific Job Functions:
- Use expertise in chemistry to characterize protein-based food matrices, thereby aiding in application/food process development.
- Development of new protein concepts by working with customers, marketing, and internal application & product development teams.
- Continue to learn process chemistry and food science skills and participate on scale ups of new products and processes.
- Strive to be a resource in the emerging Protein field with focused efforts on fine tuning Kalsec offering for this category and designing tools/modules for training scientists and commercial teams.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serve as an independent investigator, planning, designing and conducting experiments and associated research activities directed toward identified, strategic business opportunities. Expectations:
- Work independently on assignments using knowledge and work experience. Proactively gather input from colleagues to assist in attaining business objectives.
- Operate as a competent scientist with broad expertise and with growing scientific contributions.
- Perform activities that may result in the creation of novel processes, analyses, and hypotheses using new ideas and knowledge with input from supervision. These activities may also produce new intellectual property or may optimize existing analytical techniques for the business.
- Make decisions that require developing new options to solve moderately complex problems. Decisions impact projects worth > $500,000.
- Learn new scientific concepts independently and review scientific literature to enhance job knowledge.
Apply technical and functional knowledge to design experiments and independently complete work within own project team, working on multiple sub-projects in parallel. Participate in departmental and company-wide project work. Supervision may provide guidance on overall goals and designs.
- May train other scientists and technicians in various techniques.
- Carefully record experimental observations in a laboratory notebook kept in a sufficient manner to protect Kalsec’s intellectual property rights.
- Prepare detailed reports, with supervisor’s review, that describe research efforts, and when appropriate, present research results to scientific conferences, customers, Kalsec staff and/or other groups.
- Transition promising research work into the application concept development featuring Kalsec Solutions.
- Maintain a safe and clean work area, complying with corporate safety and environmental policies.
- Participate in training programs deemed necessary to either develop job skills and laboratory capabilities or meet company policies and directives.
- Be aware of the company’s Q.A. policy and objectives, strictly observing these policy provisions in the fulfillment of this job.
- Serve as a mentor to Kalsec staff, including occasional leading, guiding and training of staff, student employees, interns, and/or others performing related work. Maintain up to date working knowledge of Kalsec’s processes and manufacturing capabilities.
- Develop and acquire extensive product knowledge and experience to troubleshoot product/ process problems, investigate customer concerns, develop new processes as needed to meet customer specific needs, and recommend correction of non-compliant materials.
- Support/maintain/contribute to Protein Innovation Team activities-including R&D, external customer, and professional outreach initiatives.
Education Requirements: Minimum M.S. with 2-4 years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Food science/food chemistry background
- Protein food-based formulation experience in industry/research projects
- Familiarity with food concept/product development and application testing
- Demonstrated presentation skills
- Willingness to work on various protein matrices, including animal-derived, and sensory valuation thereof
- Protein Chemistry related analytical techniques
Company Overview: Kalsec® is the leading global producer of natural spice and herb flavor extracts, natural colors
Relocation Program: Yes
Apply online using this link.