Application Instructions for Certified Research Chef (CRC®) & CRC® Candidate
Please note, the application must be completed in one sitting. You will not be able to save and return to the incomplete application at a later time.
The Basics of RCA Certification
- Certified Research Chef (CRC®) certification is open to any food product R&D professional, RCA member or non-member, who meets all three of the education, food service work experience and R&D work experience eligibility criteria.
- There is one application for both the CRC® and CRC® Candidate.
- You must submit an application. The application fees for members and non-members are $550 and $1,000, respectively.
- Once approved to sit for the exam, you must pass the 100-question multiple choice exam with a minimum score of 80%.
- Certification is awarded for 5 years and must be renewed.
- Product developers who wish to begin an early pursuit of CRC® certification may apply to be a CRC® Candidate, a stepping stone to certification, by meeting one or two of the three CRC® eligibility criteria.
- You must submit an application. The application fees for members and non-members are $100 and $250, respectively, and may later be applied toward CRC® certification.
- Once an applicant’s eligibility criteria are approved, the approval status does not change even if the eligibility criteria are later revised.
- The remaining CRC® certification application fee is due when the final CRC® application is submitted.
- CRC® Candidates must fulfill any remaining eligibility criteria in order to apply for the CRC®.
- CRC® Candidates have eight years to submit a complete CRC® application indicating the three eligibility criteria: culinary arts education, food service work experience, and R&D work experience.
Preparing Your CRC® Application
Some Recommended Guidelines:
- Applicants should be exact and complete when filling out their applications. Please remember that you are presenting yourself professionally to the RCA Certification Commission (RCACC).
- Do NOT send any original documents. All material submitted will be held in the RCACC office in the applicant's permanent record.
- The application should be neat. Do NOT use outside covers, plastic page covers, notebooks, dividers or tabs. In order to place the approved application and its contents in our permanent files, all of these must be removed.
- Do NOT include congratulatory letters, brochures, copies of newspaper, or magazine articles.
- Please contact work experience references in advance of submitting your application to let them know they will be contacted by RCA staff. A supervisor, co-worker, or any other individual who is able to verify previous employers, dates of employment, and job duties can be included as a reference. Please supply correct telephone numbers for all references.
Eligibility Criteria for Certified Research Chef (CRC®)
All requirements can be found on the RCA website.